Sunday, May 31, 2009

Screamin' for Ice Cream

So anyone who follows me on twitter or facebook already knows that I did indeed get an ice cream maker attachment for my kitchen aide. (enter MUCH rejoicing here!)

Unfortunately, in my attempt to thank my folks for buying me such a wonderful toy... well.. I kinda bombed!

I HAD tried to make a cheesecake ice cream for all to enjoy during the last day of their visit last week, and I THOUGHT I was on to something. I even made a graham cracker crust to crunch up and swirl in!

Unfortunately, the recipe itself just didn't pan out. You see, it called for using a pudding mix.. ad while it DID provide a DEAD-ON comparative taste for cheesecake... it never really gave that 'ice cream' texture. it was, for all intents and purposes.. frozen pudding. bleh. even MORE bleh?? 10 minutes after sitting on the counter because I didn't want to finish mine? it still had the pudding texture. it just wasn't as cold. boo!

So now, you can probably imagine... I'm feeling the pressure. determined to get a good batch from this $100 toy... I researched some recipes and went to bat again. I was gonna make it work if it killed me this time.

(now in case you were wondering if I'm really that crazy-psycho-perfectionist... ok.. maybe a little... but I'm really not. I was just under the gun to create an ice cream to go with my entry for the ice cream cupcake challenge I was entering. Fear not.. I had already source a store that sold a hearty version of the flavor I needed in case I botched up yet another batch.)

So here I am... ready to make some coconut ice cream happen.

I got all my ingredients... and yes.. I was sure to get CREAM OF COCONUT.. not coconut MILK.



whisked it all together and poured it in the maker. well.. ALMOST all. I was a little sloppy, and there were some coconut flakes that went AWOL... but not so many that you'd miss them.




so just like those lame late-night commercials that beg you to 'set it and forget it'... I did just that. I let the machine churn its fatty-goodness contents, and I got us a nice batch of coconut ice cream.



The taste was so good! and I'm not just saying that cause I didn't screw it up. I really did like the ice cream! and it's going to be great for using in my entry for the ice cream cupcake challenge. but I'd for sure do this again (maybe add some pineapple bits a la pina colada? or chocolate chips? mmm... yeah. I'll do this again!)

eventually I'll take on one of those crazy ice cream recipes that calls for you to boil egg yolks and make custard and such before chilling then adding to the machine... but I'll save that for one of my 'I've had too much coffee' kind of days.

even though I linked to the recipe above.. I'll re-type it here for you. cause I'm feeling generous like that. (and it's all of what... 2 steps?)


Coconut Ice Cream (as listed on All Recipes)


INGREDIENTS
1 cup milk
1 (14 ounce) can cream of coconut (DO NOT USE coconut milk!!)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut (*optional, and see my notes below)



DIRECTIONS

Combine the milk and cream of coconut in the container of a food processor or blender, and mix thoroughly. Stir in cream and flaked coconut.

Pour into the container of an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.


* NOTE!! the flaked coconut I used was very long. well not VERY, but a bit on the long side. i would, should you choose to add the coconut flakes, either chop them in a food processor or cut them up a little with a knife before adding in. it'll make for more even bites, and decrease the likelihood of you getting a long flake stuck between two teeth, which could cause social embarrassment or slight pain. either way.. you're welcome. I'm only looking out for YOU here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds heavenly! Gorgeous presentation! Yum!First i am going to bought a Ice machine as i dnt have and after visiting many sites on net get a good site where i get a Ice Making Machine means Ice Machine on a good Discount and after that i tried for ur receipe and it was reallyyyyyyyy very very yummyyyyyyyyy..............thnx for such a nice post ..........